Saint Paul's Church

897 South Columbus
This 18th-century church is one of New York's oldest parishes (1665-1980). It was used as a hospital following the important Revolutionary War Battle at Pell's Point in 1776, and was the scene of various military developments for the next six years. ... more
This 18th-century church is one of New York's oldest parishes (1665-1980). It was used as a hospital following the important Revolutionary War Battle at Pell's Point in 1776, and was the scene of various military developments for the next six years. The church stood at the edge of Eastchester village green, the site of the "Great Election"(1733), which raised the issues of Freedom of Religion and Press. The adjoining cemetery contains burials dating from 1704. Increasing industrialization of the area around St. Paul's Church in the early 20th century led to the decline of the parish. In 1942, as part of an effort to revitalize the congregation and draw attention to the site's historical significance, the interior of the church was restored to its 18th century appearance, based on the original pew plan of 1787. A committee chaired by Sara Delano Roosevelt, mother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, raised funds for the project. While the restoration initially succeeded in reviving the congregation, by the 1970s the parish had dwindled to only a handful of worshippers. The last regular Sunday service at St. Paul's occurred in May 1977. In 1980, the site was transferred ... more

This 18th-century church is one of New York's oldest parishes (1665-1980). It was used as a hospital following the important Revolutionary War Battle at Pell's Point in 1776, and was the scene of various military developments for the next six years. The church stood at the edge of Eastchester village green, the site of the "Great Election"(1733), which raised the issues of Freedom of Religion and Press. The adjoining cemetery contains burials dating from 1704.

Increasing industrialization of the area around St. Paul's Church in the early 20th century led to the decline of the parish. In 1942, as part of an effort to revitalize the congregation and draw attention to the site's historical significance, the interior of the church was restored to its 18th century appearance, based on the original pew plan of 1787. A committee chaired by Sara Delano Roosevelt, mother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, raised funds for the project.

While the restoration initially succeeded in reviving the congregation, by the 1970s the parish had dwindled to only a handful of worshippers. The last regular Sunday service at St. Paul's occurred in May 1977. In 1980, the site was transferred from the Episcopal Dioceses of New York to the National Park Service. The site opened to the public in 1984 and is operated under a cooperative agreement with the Society of the National Shrine of the Bill of Rights at Saint Paul's Church, Eastchester.


Drag the street view to look around 360°.
Use the arrow buttons to navigate down the street and around the neighborhood!

There are no events taking place on this date.

Info

897 South Columbus
Mount Vernon, NY 10550
(914) 667-4116
Website

Editorial Rating

Admission And Tickets

Free

This Week's Hours

Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Nearby Subway

  • to Dyre Ave -- 0.5

Other Historic City Sites Attractions

The Lower East Side Conservancy

The Lower East Side Conservancy is a nonprofit organization created in 1998 with... view

Top of the Rock

John D. Rockefeller, Jr. first opened the 70th floor Observation Deck atop 30 Ro... view

City Hall

Completed in 1812, New York’s third City Hall building is surrounded by a restor... view

George Washington Bridge Bus Station

The George Washington Bridge Bus Station (GWBBS) located in the Washington Heigh... view

 

Federal Hall

Few places have played a more important role in American history than Federal Ha... view

The Conference House

The Conference House, built in the 17th Century and located at the southern most... view

Canal Street

In addition to its role as the major thoroughfare connecting Brooklyn and New Je... view

Washington Memorial Arch

Erected in 1892, the marble Washington Memorial Arch designed by Stanford White.... view